A More Beautiful Question: The Book & The Blog
We’re all hungry today for better answers. But first, we must learn to ask the right questions.
In this groundbreaking book, journalist and innovation expert Warren Berger shows that one of the most powerful forces for igniting change in business and in our daily lives is a simple, under-appreciated tool—one that has been available to us since childhood. Questioning—deeply, imaginatively, “beautifully”—can help us identify and solve problems, come up with game-changing ideas, and pursue fresh opportunities. So why are we often reluctant to ask “Why?”
Berger’s surprising findings reveal that even though children start out asking hundreds of questions a day, questioning “falls off a cliff” as kids enter school. In an education and business culture devised to reward rote answers over challenging inquiry, questioning isn’t encouraged—and, in fact, is sometimes barely tolerated.
And yet, as Berger shows, the most creative, successful people tend to be expert questioners. They’ve mastered the art of inquiry, raising questions no one else is asking—and finding the answers everyone else is seeking. The author takes us inside red-hot businesses like Google, Netflix, IDEO, and Airbnb to show how questioning is baked into their organizational DNA. He also shares dozens of inspiring stories of artists, teachers, entrepreneurs, basement tinkerers, and social activists who changed their lives and the world around them—by starting with a “beautiful question.”
Berger explores important questions, such as:
• Why aren’t we nurturing kids’ natural ability to question—and what can parents and schools do about that?
• Since questioning is a starting point for innovation, how might companies and business leaders begin to encourage and exploit it?
• And most important, how can each of us re-ignite that questioning spark—and use inquiry as a powerful means to rethink and reinvent our lives?
A More Beautiful Question outlines a practical Why / What If / How system of inquiry that can guide you through the process of innovative questioning—helping you find imaginative, powerful answers to your own “beautiful questions.”
If you’re interested in questioning—and you should be—the AMoreBeautifulQuestion.com blog has lots to offer, including articles about why questioning leads to innovation, how it can help you be more successful in your career, and how we can all get better at asking the kind of “beautiful questions” that spark change in our businesses and lives.
Click to see the following special sections of the blog:
“What Kills Questioning?” VIDEO
FROM THE AMOREBEAUTIFULQUESTION.COM ABOUT PAGE
- Find interviews, original articles, excerpts, and lots of comments on the Blog
- Our “Inquiry Quotient” Quiz – find out if you’re a beautiful questioner!
- A gallery of fascinating stories about breakthroughs that started with a question
- Find out what you can learn from “Master Questioners”
- Discover why and how questioning can improve your life
- Learn more about the new book A More Beautiful Question
- Get a free e-book on creativity—just by subscribing to the site’s periodic e-newsletter.
See more about questioning at amorebeautifulquestion.com/about/
Warren Berger has studied hundreds of the world’s leading innovators, entrepreneurs, and creative thinkers to learn how they ask questions, generate original ideas, and solve problems. His writing and research on questioning and innovation has appeared in Fast Company, Harvard Business Review, and Wired. He is the author of many books, including the internationally acclaimed book Glimmer, an in-depth analysis of creative thinking that was named one of Business Week’s “Best Innovation & Design Books of the Year.” Berger has appeared on NBC’s “Today Show,” ABC “World News,” CNN, and NPR’s “All Things Considered.”